Faneuil Hall was built in 1742. It has served as a marketplace
and meeting hall ever since. Peter Faneuil, a wealthy merchant,
provided funds for the construction of the building. The renown
gilded grasshopper weather vane that still perches on the
building's cupola for over two centuries was created Deacon
Shem Drowne. The cupola resides above the fourth floor Ancient
and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts Armory, Museum,
and Library. The building resides at the site of the old town
dock. Between 1764 and 1774 town meetings were held here.
Samuel Adams and others protested against the imposition of
taxes on the colonies. In 1806 Charles Bulfinch expanded Faneuil
Hall. In the 19th century, Frederick Douglass, William Lloyd
Garrison, and Lucy Stone brought their struggles for freedom
here. John F. Kennedy delivered his last campaign speech from
The use of Faneuil Hall as a government meeting place ended
when Boston became a city. However, the first floor is still
used as a marketplace with market stalls similar to the time
of Paul Revere. The second floor serves as a meeting hall
for many Boston City debates and where the Mayor of Boston
greets many foreign dignitaries. Faneuil Hall, the Crade of
liberty, is located near the waterfront and Government Center
in Boston. It is a well known stop on the Freedom Trail.
Faneuil Hall Marketplace also includes three long granite
buildings called North Market, South Market, and Quincy Market.
These contain over 70 retailers and 40 office tenants which
occupy the 200,000 square feet. It operates as an indoor/outdoor
mall and food eatery. This festival marketplace was designed
by Benjamin Thompson and Associates.
Faneuil Hall Hours: Open 9 am - 5 pm, except during city
AHAC Hours: Open 9 am - 3pm, CLOSED Saturday & Sunday
& Major Holidays
AHAC Subject to Close without notice.